In the past year, kitchen remodeling has been a top project for remodelers and it’s a great way to increase the value of your home. But, you want to make sure that you are setting yourself up for success before tearing out the cabinets and pulling up the floors. Consider these do’s and don’ts to get the dream kitchen you’ve always wanted the appropriate way:
- Do some research to make sure you are hiring a qualified contractor. Browse reviews online, ask your friends and peers for recommendations, and don’t settle just because one contractor might be cheaper.
- Consider your kitchen must-haves—are you hoping to have an energy efficient kitchen? Have a specific finish or countertop material? Do you want to have appliances with the latest technology?
- Evaluate what an ideal floor plan for your kitchen would look like. Keep it functional and efficient with adequate storage and countertop space that fits your needs and the needs of your household. What do you want to get out of the space? What do you use your kitchen for most? Cooking? Entertaining? Gathering with your family?
- Hang on to all your receipts. File all your receipts in a safe place to pull out when filing your taxes or to use if you decide to sell your home in the future.
- Focus exclusively on the aesthetic of your new kitchen—shiny countertops or a perfect color palette aren’t the most vital things about your new kitchen. Ensure the quality of your cabinets, countertops and replacement windows is high to keep your kitchen working efficiently for many years.
- Forget to consider the budget! Remain on budget by prioritizing based on your needs and what features are highest on your list. We advise budgeting at least 10 percent more than what you think you’ll need so you can cover unpredictable costs during the remodeling process.
- Forget about windows! Pella Windows and Doors Southwest has a range of excellent kitchen window styles that can pull together an entire kitchen remodel.
One of the most important parts of a kitchen remodeling project is the windows—they offer light into your space, set the tone for the room and deliver you a gateway to the outdoors, which really feels nice when there’s a cool breeze on a summer day. If you are thinking about replacement windows as a part of your kitchen remodel, give our team at Pella Windows and Doors Southwest a call at 505-373-1286, stop by our Santa Fe showroom or schedule an in-home consultation with us online so we can help you select the right replacement windows for your kitchen needs.